Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Firehouse Food: Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters.
Make and share this Roasted Beet Salad With Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe from Food.com.
- 6 medium beets, stemmed (red, gold, or a combination, about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces mixed baby lettuces and spring greens
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- To Roast the Beets: Adjust the oven rack to the center position and preheat the oven to 400°F Rub the beets with the olive oil and wrap them together in a large piece of aluminum foil. Put the beets in a small roasting pan or baking dish and roast them for 50 minutes to an hour, until they are tender when a knife is inserted in the center.
- Remove the foil packet from the pan and let the beets cool on the foil before unwrapping. Using your fingers, peel the beets over the foil. The skins should slip off easily; if not, use a paring knife. Cut the beets into 1/4-inch matchstick slices and reserve.
- To make the Vinaigrette: Put the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, onion, jam, mustard, and sugar in the container of a blender or food processor. Process until well blended and emulsified. (You should have 1 cup.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To Assemble the salad: In a large salad bowl, toss the greens, beets, and walnuts with half of the dressing. Season to taste with pepper. Top each serving with some of the cheese. Pass the remaining dressing at the table.
Excellent salad! Love that dressing (I used raspberry vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar and then added some extra jam and less sugar - my olive oil was pretty strong). I then omitted the cheese and added some thinly sliced apple, orange and celery. Wonderful!
Incredible! This salad is outstanding.I knew when I saw this recipe that I would LOVE it, and man did I!I am a big beet lover, so this was a treat. I did use a Stilton Bleu, instead of gorgonzola.Stilton is just my favorite.And because I like it so much, I used the full amount listed. Cookie the dressing is wonderful! I had some homemade Raspberry Jam that I used, and in place of the red-wine vinegar, and olive oil, I used raspberry vinegar and Walnut oil that I have recently received in the Regional swap.this has to be one of my all time favorite salads ever!! Thanks Cookie!
Outstanding salad. I can't say enough about it. It rivals any salad you would get in a restaurant. I cooked the beets the day before so they would have time to chill thoroughly. I did think it was a little heavy on the gorgonzola and only used half what was called for. Marvelous! Selected this one for Zaar Tag.