Roasted Beet Salad
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb small beet, well-scrubbed (about 5)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large pear
- 3 cups mesclun
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
For the roasted beets:
- Place the beets in a sheet of foil and place another sheet on top and create a seal around the beet. Roast the beets on a baking sheet until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool the beets in their foil packet for a few minutes, and then rub off the skins using a paring knife if needed. The beets need to still be a little warm to be able to remove the skins easily.
- While the beets are roasting, toast the almonds in a small skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove and cool.
For the vinaigrette:
- Make the vinaigrette by stirring together the vinegar, mustard, salt and sugar, and then slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified.
- Slice the cooled and peeled beets into 1/4-inch thick slices and add half the vinaigrette, tossing to coat completely. Toss the remaining vinaigrette with the salad greens.
- Quarter and core the pear and slice it into julienne strips, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Arrange the dressed greens, and beets on a platter and top with the pear, toasted nuts, and goat cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!