3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I just ordered a goose for Christmas. This is one of the recipes I'm considering making. I got this off another site, and altered it very slightly. I haven't made it so prep times, which include resting the goose, are just a guess!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the oven rack in lowest position, and preheat your oven to 425f.
- 2Trim and discard any excess fat around the goose's neck and cavity.
- 3Rinse the bird with cool water.
- 4Taking care not to cut the flesh, pierce the skin all over to help render fat as the bird cooks.
- 5Place the garlic, onion and lemon halves in the cavity.
- 6Tie the legs together to close the cavity.
- 7Season the bird with the salt and pepper and place breast up in a roasting pan.
- 8Place the neck next to the goose.
- 9Roast the goose for 30 minutes, the remove excess fat, turn the goose to breast-side down; remove fat, but do not turn the bird.
- 10This saved fat makes fantastic roasted veggies, and will keep in the fridge for quite a while.
- 11Reduce the oven temp to 325f and cook the goose for a further 1 1/2 hours or until the temperature (taken in the thickest part of the leg) reaches 185f.
- 12Remove the goose, tent loosely with foil, and allow to rest 20-30 minutes while you make the gravy.
- 13Discard the neck.
- 14Pour off any further excess fat, and place the pan on a burner over medium heat.
- 15Add the wine, and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape up any brow sticky bits.
- 16Add the broth, and reduce to a thinish gravy consistency.
- 17Add the prunes, cook for 5 minutes, or until the fruit has plumped up.
- 18Check for seasonings and serve with the goose meat.
- 19Discard the cavity filling.
Browse Our Top Goose Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Goose Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Goose
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1319.5
- Calories from Fat 751
- Total Fat 83.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 343.0 mg
- Sodium 890.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 99.9 g