Recipe by Mirj
This cake is supposed to be freeze-able, although it never lasts long enough in our house to get to the freezer. This is one of my most requested items when I ask "what can I bring?"
Top Review by Melissa
I had a tea party yesterday and made this very-easy cake, which my guests described as "sooo good!" It is really simple to make, if a little difficult to get out of the bundt pan, and it has a pleasantly tangy flavor. Outstanding!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 lb powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease and flour a 9-inch tube pan or Bundt cake pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well until they are incorporated.
- Mix in the lemon zest, baking powder, and almond extract.
- Add the milk and flour in alternating doses, starting and ending with the milk, and mixing very well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the cake is browned and the sides of the cake have pulled away slightly from the sides of the pan.
- While the cake is baking, mix together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Remove the cake from the oven and poke small holes into the top of the cake using a wooden or metal skewer or cake tester.
- Pour about 3/4 of the glaze over the top of the cake.
- Cool the cake completely in the pan.
- Remove the cake from the pan, invert, and place on a serving plate or waxed paper if freezing.
- Pour the remaining glaze over the top of the unglazed part of the cake.
- Let sit at room temperature until the glaze dries.
- Cover and store at room temperature for up to 48 hours, or tightly seal in a freezer proof container for up to 3 months.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Thawing Directions: Simply thaw overnight at room temperature.