Indulge yourself. You know you want to. ;) This is a wonderfully rich tetrazzini that your family will ask for again and again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine
- 8 ounces grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 whole chickens (cooked and boned) or 4 cooked chicken breasts or 4 cups cooked turkey, meat cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2In a skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter and sauté the mushrooms and onions until soft; remove from pan and set aside.
- 3Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and stir in 2 tablespoons flour; cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes to make a roux, stirring constantly (the flour should turn a nice golden color, but be careful not to burn).
- 4Add chicken broth and garlic and cook over low heat for 1 minute.
- 5Stir in the sherry and 3/4 of the Parmesan cheese; add the sautéed onions/mushrooms and stir until cheese melts, then stir in the cream or half and half.
- 6Combine the sauce, cooked and cut-up chicken or turkey, and cooked spaghetti noodles in a large bowl, then spread the mixture into a lightly-buttered/oiled large casserole.
- 7Bake for 30 minutes or until the top begins to brown; combine the remaining Parmesan with the bread crumbs, then sprinkle it over the casserole and bake for 5 minutes longer.
- 8Adapted from a post by peggy at Gail's Recipe Swap, who got it from Gourmet Magazine.
- 9Pat-NoCal’s notes: This is delicious. I didn’t have pimientos so I sauteed some red bell pepper with the mushrooms. Recipe is easily halved. Next time I might use slightly less spaghetti for better sauce coverage.
- 10nlb’s notes to Peggy: I made your Turkey Tetrazzini tonight and it was absolutely wonderful. I only tweaked this recipe a teensy bit by putting one smashed clove of garlic in the sauce, using roasted red peppers, and medium egg noodles instead of spaghetti. I used the Madeira too and it adds a great dimension to this delicious sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich and Creamy Chicken or Turkey Tetrazzini
Serving Size: 1 (627 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1833.9
- Calories from Fat 945
- Total Fat 105.0 g
- Saturated Fat 46.2 g
- Cholesterol 398.3 mg
- Sodium 1665.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 102.5 g