Prep 10 mins
Cook 43 mins
It is suggested that this rice be served with lamb. From the Rice Cooker Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, sliced in rounds
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice (or any flavorful white rice)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon almonds, chopped
- Melt 1 TBSP of butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Place rice in rice cooker bowl.
- Add beef stock, parsley, thyme, peas and sauteed carrots; stir to combine.
- Close cover; set to regular cycle.
- When machine switches to Keep Warm cycle, let the rice steam for 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with wooden or plastic rice paddle or wooden spoon.
- This rice will hold for 1-2 hours on Keep Warm cycle.
- When ready to serve, add remaining 1 TBSP butter and almonds; stir to distribute.
- Serve immediately.
Rice came out perfect, if a little bland. Added a little salt. I served this with oxtail stew.
I used my own ratio of brown rice to pork stock and chicken stock, then added the rest. Didn't need to saute the carrots and added chopped leftover pork at the end. Also added garlic powder and dried minced onions and didn't use almonds. Tasted great, for a main dish, with a little added salt.
Great recipe! I did as KelBel suggested and used water and dill instead of beef broth and thyme and served with fish. I also added 1/4 c. chopped celery and canned peas instead of frozen. My husband and two toddlers liked it a lot too! Thanks!!