This can turn leftover rice and/or leftover meat into another meal (with some veggies snuck in because they're good for you)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hamburger, cooked and drained (or equivalent amount of leftover cooked meat)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 3 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped mushroom
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup soya sauce (I like Wong Wing best)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can mushroom soup
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1In a nonstick pan, melt 1 tbsp of the butter and cook the garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
- 2Add the mushrooms and celery and cook until tender.
- 3Mix with the hamburger.
- 4Add the salt and pepper.
- 5Mix the mushroom soup, milk and soya sauce.
- 6Mix the rice with the green onions, carrots and 1/4 to 1/3 of the mushroom soup mixture.
- 7In a buttered casserole dish, spread half the rice mixture, then the meat mixture, followed by the remaining mushroom soup mixture.
- 8Top with the remaining rice mixture.
- 9Dot with 2 tbsp of butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
- 10Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- 11Cover with sour cream and sprinkle with paprika.
- 12Return to oven for 10 minutes.
- 13Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.5
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 128.5 mg
- Sodium 2164.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 32.6 g