Spicy Shepherd's Pie
A kicked up version of the original. It calls for instant potatoes, but I use leftover real mashed potatoes.
- Ready In:
- 1 (6 5/8 ounce) package instant mashed potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn, drained
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can ripe olives, sliced, drained
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to directions.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until the meat is browned.
- Add tomatoes, corn, olives, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Top with 3/4 cup cheese.
- Spread mashed potatoes over top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- *4 1/2 cups of prepared mashed potatoes may be substituted for instant.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used a 12 ounces can of corn (couldn't find mexicorn). I used home made taco seasoning, no sodium. I omitted the salt. The package of mashed potatoes I used was not the best. I should have taken the brand Betty Crocker, and a flavor of butter and herbs. But other than that, it's perfect. Great recipe, easy to do. Thanks CoffeeB :) Made for PRMR1Reply
see 7 more