Recipe by Olha
Studded with juicy pink rhubarb and topped with a crunchy nut streusel, this cake is perfect for spring brunch, snacktime or dessert.
Top Review by Lainey6605
Just wonderful. I used a combination of hazelnuts and almonds because I had both on hand. Like Um Safia, I had to try some maple syrup drizzled over top of the cake and it was delicious. Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped hazelnuts or 1⁄4 cup pistachios or 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 9-inch (2.5 L) spring-form pan; set aside.
- TOPPING: In bowl, combine brown sugar, chopped hazelnuts, flour and cinnamon. Using fork, stir in butter until crumbly; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of buttermilk. Fold in chopped rhubarb. Scrape into prepared pan; sprinkle with topping.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, about 1-1/4 hours. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Remove side of pan. Serve warm or cool. Serves 8 to 10.
- Canadian Living.