Rhubarb Raspberry Coffee Cake
Recipe from Cottage Life magazine, April/May 1998. It won first prize in a contest. A tasty combination of rhubarb, raspberries, blueberries or cherries. Vary the fruits according to seasons such as strawberries, apples, peaches, plums, pears, blackberries. I used recipe #78579 to grease the pan.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup light cream (10%)
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries or 1/2 cup sour pitted cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light cream (10%)
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture is consistency of fine crumbs.
- Beat egg and cream together.
- Add to dry mixture, stirring to make a soft sticky dough.
- Pat dough into a greased 9”x13”x2” baking pan.
- Combine rhubarb, raspberries, blueberries or cherries, sugar and flour.
- Toss lightly.
- Beat egg and melted butter together.
- Add to fruit, stirring gently to mix.
- Spread over dough.
- Mix flour, sugar and baking powder together.
- Cut in the butter.
- Add cream, stirring to make a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly over fruit.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden.
- Cut into squares.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This cake is spectacularly yummy! It is fruity, sweet, tart and just mmm moreish! :) The crust is very airy and spongy with great flavour and the crumbs are sooo great, very flakey and crisp. Everybody loved this and I will surely make it again and again and again.<br/>For the fruit I used rhubarb, banana and apple, which was a yummy combination and worked out well. Due to my bananas being very ripe, I reduced the sugar in the topping to 1/2 cup. That was plenty for us. I also added about 1/2 tbs of vanilla extract to the topping mix.<br/>To make this a bit nuttier I used half whole spelt flour.<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this amazing recipe with us, foodtvfan, I cant believe noone ever made this since 2009! <br/>Made and reviewed for PRMR Tag Game May 2011.2Reply