1 hr 12 mins
My husband loves all things reuben. We both think this soup is very good and something different for a change.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups broth
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced deli corned beef, shredded
- 10 -12 slices rye cocktail bread
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1In a big soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- 2Add in the onion; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 3Sprinkle the flour over the onions; stir to mix.
- 4Add in the beef stock and sauerkraut; stir to combine.
- 5Add in the next 5 ingredients; simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- 6Right before you are ready to serve, place bread slices on a baking sheet; broil for 2 minutes; turn and sprinkle with Swiss cheese; broil until cheese melts.
- 7When you are ready to serve, check seasonings and adjust; remove bay leaf.
- 8Ladle soup into bowls and float 1 piece of rye toast on top of each bowl.
- 9Pass around the remaining toast to go with the soup.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Reuben Soup
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.9
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 120.4 mg
- Sodium 2211.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 29.8 g