Prep 45 mins
Cook 27 mins
My husband loves all things reuben. We both think this soup is very good and something different for a change.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups broth
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced deli corned beef, shredded
- 10 -12 slices rye cocktail bread
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese
- In a big soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add in the onion; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions; stir to mix.
- Add in the beef stock and sauerkraut; stir to combine.
- Add in the next 5 ingredients; simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Right before you are ready to serve, place bread slices on a baking sheet; broil for 2 minutes; turn and sprinkle with Swiss cheese; broil until cheese melts.
- When you are ready to serve, check seasonings and adjust; remove bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into bowls and float 1 piece of rye toast on top of each bowl.
- Pass around the remaining toast to go with the soup.
My sister and I love Reuben sandwiches. I made this yesterday, exactly as stated. Wonderful. Absolutely delicious. Will definately make this often!