Recipe by Cookin-jo
Bits of sweet red pepper make these muffins so pretty and the buttermilk adds flavour without fat. You can substitute jarred pimiento or roasted red pepper if you like but drain them well and pat dry. Adapted from Gourmet magazine.
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Generously butter muffin tin -- 12 muffin regular size.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in a medium bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture and red peppers to the flour mixture and stir until just combined; do not overmix.
- Place about 1/3 cup mixture into each of 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Carefully remove muffins from tin to a wire rack to cool.