1/1 Photo of Red Lentil Pate
1 hr 15 mins
This is from Annemarie Colbin who wrote the Natural Gourmet. She says this is a staple in the French vegetarian cooking class that she teaches and never fails to win raves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups red lentils
- 5 cups water or 5 cups light vegetable stock
- 2 medium onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste (may sub regular salt)
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1Wash lentils quickly, drain, and place the lentils in a 3-4 quart saucepan.
- 2Add the water or stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 3Chop the onions and the garlic very finely.
- 4In a large skillet, heat the oil.
- 5Add the garlic, onions, and herbs and saute over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes, or until the onions and garlic are browned and fragrant.
- 6Oil a 9-inch shallow baking pan or loaf pan and sprinkle with half the bread crumbs, completely coating the inside of the pan.
- 7Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 8Chop the parsley finely.
- 9When the lentils are done, stir them thoroughly to mash, add the onion mixture, bread crumbs, and parsley.
- 10Season to taste with sea salt, vinegar, and pepper.
- 11Pour the lentil mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until set.
- 12Allow to cool to room temperature before slicing.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil Pate
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.3
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 268.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar