Butternut Squash Soup - Vegan
photo by mo_cubsfan
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 3 quarts vegetable stock
- 4 lbs butternut squash
- 2 cups carrots, diced 1/2 inch dice
- 2 cups celery, diced 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup onion, diced 1/2 inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Cute butternut squash in half lenghtwise and remove seeds.
- Place squash cutside down on a parchment lined sheet pan and roast in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until squash is soft to the touch, and the skin begins to pull away from the flesh.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Spoon roasted squash out of the skin and pass it through a ricer or food mill to remove any of the stringy fibers.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot and sute/swet the carrots, celery and onions, until the onions and carrots just start to caramelize.
- Deglaze the pot with sherry.
- Add the vegetable stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Add the squash, reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the by leaf, and puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender until it reaches a smooth creamy consistency.
- Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and paprika and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
SOUPer soup! I thought the broth was delicious long before adding the squash, but then it became fabulous. I cheated a bit and used frozen butternut squash (just dumped into the broth after boiling) to speed along dinner, but otherwise followed the recipe. It is fantastic and healthy, what's not to love about that? I'm going to enjoy a few bowls as is, then veggies from the fridge will soon find themselves in the pot. With luck, I might have a perpetual soup pot!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>