1/1 Photo of Red Lentil and Vegetable Stew
"Pink Eyed" Jim Cortina's Note:
Wonderful stew, can be a vegetarian meal on its own. Or you can add some diced or shredded smoked duck, if you like meat. The red lentils break down, and cause this to be like a really rich soup. If you need to stretch this out, you can serve it over white rice, to do a sort of "beans and rice" thing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 -4 dashes TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes (do not drain liquid)
- 1Sauté the carrots, onion, and celery in the olive oil until they start to caramelize a bit.
- 2Add the garlic about a minute before the vegetables are finished sautéing.
- 3Add the red lentils, and stir until mixed with the vegetables.
- 4Add the stock, tomatoes and juice, cumin, and Tabasco, if using.
- 5Bring to a simmer over medium heat and reduce heat to medium low.
- 6Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 25 minutes.
- 7If the liquid all evaporates and the lentils are not done, add a little water to keep the simmer going.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil and Vegetable Stew
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.2
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 483.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 27.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: