Wonderful stew, can be a vegetarian meal on its own. Or you can add some diced or shredded smoked duck, if you like meat. The red lentils break down, and cause this to be like a really rich soup. If you need to stretch this out, you can serve it over white rice, to do a sort of "beans and rice" thing.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 -4 dashes TABASCO® brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes (do not drain liquid)
- Sauté the carrots, onion, and celery in the olive oil until they start to caramelize a bit.
- Add the garlic about a minute before the vegetables are finished sautéing.
- Add the red lentils, and stir until mixed with the vegetables.
- Add the stock, tomatoes and juice, cumin, and Tabasco, if using.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 25 minutes.
- If the liquid all evaporates and the lentils are not done, add a little water to keep the simmer going.