1/1 Photo of Raspberry Caramel Cake
A vanilla sponge packed with raspberries, layered with a melt in your mouth caramel frosting and more raspberries. A simple cake which is easy to make and sure to please!
My Private Note
8 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk, I used skim
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
For the frosting
- 1Preheat the oven to 350F and grease and line two 8 inch round cake tins.
- 2Measure out the flour, baking powder and bicarb into a medium sized bowl and mix together briefly. Set to one side.
- 3Place the raspberries into a medium sized bowl and then take a spoonful of flour out of the measured ingredients and toss the raspberries in it. (This will stop the raspberries sinking).
- 4Place the butter and sugars into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on med-high for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- 5Add in the eggs and vanilla, scraping the sides down as necessary and mix until well incorporated, about 1 min on med-high speed.
- 6Add in the milk and flour mix and mix on low-med until light and smooth.
- 7Add in the raspberries and fold in gently by hand.
- 8Divide the batter between the two cake tins and smooth over with the back of a wooden spoon/spatula.
- 9Place in the oven for 30-35 mins until golden brown, springy to the touch and an inserted skewer into the centre comes out clean.
- 10Leave to cool in the tins for at least 30 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 11Once cool, make the frosting: Place the caramel, butter, icing sugar and salt into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and beat on med-high until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes (This frosting makes enough to frost the top and sides, if you just want to do the top and middle like me, halve the recipe).
- 12Take one cake layer and place on a cake stand/plate/cake board. Spread a good layer of frosting onto the cake and, smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of raspberries over the top. (reserving 3 for garnish if you want).
- 13Turn the second cake layer bottom side up and place on top of the frosted cake layer. Spread another layer of frosting over the top (and sides if you want) and garnish with a few raspberries, if desired.
- 14Cake will keep in the fridge, covered for 2 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry Caramel Cake
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.3
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 75.4 mg
- Sodium 242.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 63.6 g
- Protein 5.4 g