Easy Caramel Cake - ATK
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From America's Test Kitchen - frost with Easy Caramel Frosting - ATK, also posted on this site. Don't make frosting ahead of time, as it must be spread while it's still warm.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly soft, cut in 1 TB pieces
- Combine dry ingredients and sugar in mixer bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk in large measuring cup; set aside.
Make batter using Reverse creaming method:
- Start mixer on low speed. Add butter 1 TB at a time mixing constantly, until butter is incorporated into flour mixture. Should not be any large pieces of butter left. Mixture should appear yellowish and dry.
- Add half of the egg/buttermilk mixture. Beat on low to medium speed until smooth but thick.
- Add remaining egg mixture, beat about 15 seconds until smooth.
- Divide batter between pans & spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 on middle rack, until toothpick in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, remove and cool completely on racks.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION