32K Caramel Cake
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (or ground)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 10 caramels
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 15 caramels
- 1⁄4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degres F.
- Spray two 8" round pans throughly with cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- Melt the 3/4 cup butter and 10 caramels, until liquid and integrated.
- I usually do this in the microwave but it can be done stovetop.
- Do not burn.
- Mix the brown sugar and the caramel butter mixture with an electric mixer until well integrated.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well, until smooth and lighter in colour.
- Mix in the flour mixture until blended and then beat at high speed for three or four minutes until batter is smooth and light in colour.
- Mix in the carrots and pecans until well blended and spread evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until browned and just pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool cakes on racks.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 15 caramels until smooth (about 2 minutes in microwave, don't forget to stir!) Mix the melted caramels with the icing sugar and 3 tablespoons milk with an electric mixer until smooth.
- If required add an extra tablespoon milk to reach a good consistency for the icing.
- Spread icing on top of one cake layer, top with the other layer and cover sides and top evenly with the remaining icing.
- Melt the butterscotch and chocolate chips together (about 1 minute in microwave) stir well until smooth (heat longer if required).
- Spread a thin layer of chocolate mixture over the top of the cake (if desired let a bit drip down the sides as decoration).
Join The Conversation