Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have been making these on and off for at least 25 years. Sometimes I leave out the raisins but they are delicious with or without them. There is never one left over.
- 3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Put the first six ingredients in a large bow.
- Mix with 1 cup milk.
- (Try not to handle too much. You may need a tiny bit more milk but you don't want sticky dough.) Pat on a floured board and shape into a circle.
- Then cut in diamond shapes.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or golden brown.
These are simply the best tasting, easiest to make scones!!!! The texture is perfect. I used canola oil for shortening and added CRAISINS. I am hooked.
these were really tasty, especially when i added a touch of nutmeg to the batter, however,they were rock hard once they came out the oven. BUT, i'm going to try again in case i did anything wrong.
Wow! I made these with rice flour and added a bit of cream cheese to make the batter stick together better. I also used dried blueberries instead of raisins. They didn't get very brown after 15 minutes, but they are delicious nonetheless! Absolutely fantastic with butter. (I'm literally eating one as I type this.)