Recipe by Starrynews
I found this on a hunt for a gluten free stuffing that would appeal to a wide audience. It is delicious and was much enjoyed by all. It originates from Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2006. Love that magazine! I subsituted dried cranberries for the cherries with great success. Note: We use no added salt in our household, so be sure to taste test and see if you want to add any.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
Fantastic and easy! I really liked this combination of simple ingredients. I subbed dried cranberries for the cherries but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I might increase the ratio of quinoa next time, but that's because I love quinoa...
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken or 2 cups vegetable broth, fat-free, less-sodium
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced (about 3/4 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions, using broth instead of water. When it is done cooking and all broth has been absorbed, fluff with fork.
- Meanwhile, spray a skillet with cooking spray and then add the butter.
- Melt butter over medium high heat. Once melted, add leeks, celery, pepper, and sage.
- Saute until leeks and celery are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Combine veggie mixture and quinoa. Stir in cherries and walnuts.
- Heat through just before serving.