Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Self magazine, February 2010.
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 small red chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups snow peas, trimmed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 ounces grilled chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Place quinoa in a small saucepan, toast over medium heat (quinoa will turn golden brown and will pop as it is toasting.).
- Stir in 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until quinoa absorbs water, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and leave uncovered.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook carrot, stirring occasionally, until it softens, about 1 minute. Add bell pepper, ginger, garlic and chile, if desired; cook, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Add peas, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
- Remove vegetables and return skillet to heat; add quinoa, along with egg. Cook, stirring constantly, until egg is evenly distributed, about 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables, chicken, scallions, cilantro and soy sauce; cook 1 minute more. Divide stir-fry among 4 bowls; serve warm.
Healthy, yummy, and beautiful!!
Loved it. I much prefer the texture of quinoa to most kinds of rice, so I was glad to find this recipe. Replaced the snow peas with Chinese red noodle beans from our garden. Will make again!
This was a neat way to use quinoa. Chopped cilantro added a lot of flavor, too. Next time I might top with a light sauce. Thanks Swissms, for posting.