Recipe by DuChick
Credit for this simple recipe goes to Tina Repak of Pennsylvania who entered it in the 1998 Pillsbury Bake-Off. The use of instant rice shortens your time in the kitchen to complete this creamy side dish.
Top Review by Cucina de Liz
This recipe turned out to be delicious! I used fresh mushrooms, added a bit of salt at the end, and more parmesan cheese. The family, especially my boyfriend, loved it. The consistency was very close to risotto, so I was impressed with how easy it was!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar Green Giant sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream or 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Add rice, garlic powder and pepper; cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 can of the broth; cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in remaining can of broth; cook 7 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Stir in whipping cream.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/3 cup cheese.
- Spoon into serving dish; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese.