1 hr 30 mins
Culinary School Dropout's Note:
Tasty and Delicious. Easy and Fast. You'll love this east to prepare Creole Gumbo recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large chicken, cut into pieces (young hen preferred)
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 lbs fresh shrimp
- 1 bunch scallion, tops only, chopped (green onions)
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- gumbo file powder (Feelay)
- 1Season the chicken with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning and brown quickly. Brown the sausage, pour off fat and reserve meats.
- 2In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil and cook the flour in the oil over medium to high heat (depending on your roux-making skill), stirring constantly, until the roux reaches a dark reddish-brown color, almost the color of coffee or milk chocolate for a Cajun-style roux. If you want to save time, or prefer a more New Orleans-style roux, cook it to a medium, peanut-butter color, over lower heat if you're nervous about burning it.
- 3Add the vegetables and stir quickly. This cooks the vegetables and also stops the roux from cooking further. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes.
- 4Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then cook for about one hour, skimming fat off the top as needed.
- 5Add shelled and deveined shrimp, the chopped scallion tops and parsley, and heat for 5 minutes. Serve over rice in large shallow bowls.
- 6Accompany with lots of hot, crispy French bread or serve in bread bowls.
- 7Make sure to have plenty of Tabasco sauce on hand to give it a kick.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick & Easy Creole Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (671 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 788.8
- Calories from Fat 503
- Total Fat 55.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 208.8 mg
- Sodium 1584.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 43.7 g