Best Creole Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
photo by Nadia Melkowits
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped green pepper
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 14 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 lbs frozen sliced okra
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp, head on
- 1 lb smoked sausage (casing peeled and sliced into bite size)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups shrimp stock or 2 cups bouillon
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning (such as Slap ya Mama)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Slowly stir the flour into heated oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Continue to stir until the flour is dark brown. Add the next 4 ingredients; stir until onions are clear. Add tomato paste and a cup of water. Add okra and tomatoes. Cook slowly, adding all the water and shrimp stock -a little at a time. Stir in sugar & creole seasoning. Cook for about an hour on a low fire, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of pot; adding water if necessary.
- Add the shrimp ,sausage, parsley and the bay leaves. Cook another 30 minutes to an hour, adding seasoning to taste. Serve over boiled or steamed rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am native Bulgarian and I have enjoyed cooking since little. I love trying foods from different cultures and experimenting with foods that I am not familiar with. <br />I hope you get to enjoy some of the recipes I am posting on my blog.</p>