Recipe by BecR
This quick soup is a match for gourmet variety. Start to finish is 15 minutes. From the local paper.
Top Review by Seasoned Cook
DELICIOUS! Full of flavor and goes well with a grilled cheese sandwich!!! I used only 1/4 cup of milk because my family likes the tomato flavor to be prominent. Prepared as a participant in the January 2009 Soups and Stews Event in the Cooking Photo Forum.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canschopped tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-fat milk (or whole milk or half-and-half)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- garlic-herb crouton, for garnish
- snipped fresh herb, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Peel and finely chop the onion and add it to the pot. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, open the tomato and sauce cans.
- Add the garlic, and stir and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes with their juices and the tomato sauce. Raise the heat to high, and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the milk and parmesan cheese. Do not boil the soup after the milk has been added. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve at once. Garnish with croutons and fresh snipped herbs.
- NOTE: Use the Del Monte brand of diced tomatoes seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano. If you can't find the seasoned tomatoes, add 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil and dried oregano with plain diced tomatoes.