Potato and Garlic Soup With Herbs
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup minced chives or 1/4 cup green onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, garlic and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Coarsely puree soup in blender 1 cup at a time, about 20 seconds per batch (do not overprocess).
- Return soup to same saucepan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with chives and thyme and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We've made this twice in as many weeks, with hubby and the kids asking in between when we were having "that really great soup" again. :) It is so easy to make, smells wonderful while simmering, and doubles/triples well. The first time I pureed nearly the entire batch and loved how it looked & tasted so much like a cream soup, even though it is dairy-free. The second time my blender died so we had a chance to try it the other way, lol...a winner either way! I subbed veggie broth for the chicken broth to make it vegan. Thanks so much for posting such an easy, budget-friendly family pleaser!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
bok bok, bok bok bok bok.