Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Even though I'm a born-and-raised Arizonan, both of my grandparents are from southern Louisiana. As a result, I grew up eating a lot of good, homecooked Cajun food!! This isn't a family recipe, but it rivals any I've had. (It's a combination of several recipes I found online.) I find myself craving it once every couple of weeks...luckily my boyfriend loves it too! :-) This can be made with 2 pounds of chicken, or 1 lb chicken + 1 lb smoked sausage. The chicken / shrimp is our favorite way to make it, and the chicken / smoked sausage is a close second.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's creole seasoning)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Cook rice according to package directions (I cook it in chicken broth for more flavor).
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic until tender.
- Add the meat and sauté until cooked.
- Stir in the tomatoes, seasonings, and cooked rice.
- Cover and cook until heated through.
Thanks for a tasty jambalaya recipe that is quick and easy enough for a weeknight! I substituted a can of Rotel for the tomatoes because it's what I had on hand and omitted the hot sauce because the spice in the Rotel was enough. I also tossed in about 6 ounces of cubed ham that I had leftover from another recipe. Otherwise I followed the recipe as written. It turned out great and I will be making this recipe again.
This was a very good recipe. Used as a guide with the following changes: brown rice cooked in homemade chicken sauce. Penzey'z Cajun spice blend about 1 1/2 t. Sauteed in sausage oil so omitted the olive oil. Used all the other ingredients except pepper sauce--canjun spice enough heat for us. Also used all three meats as had all on hand. Next time would also add some okra. Will make again soon Judy in CA via WA