Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was in the October 29,2008 Food section of the Houston Chronicle and was proclaimed "holiday worthy"! Preparation time does not include chill time.
- 177.44 ml unsalted butter, melted (divided use)
- 591.47 ml graham cracker crumbs
- 650.62 ml sugar (divided use)
- 4.92 ml salt, plus
- 0.25 ml salt (divided use)
- 907.18 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 425.24 g can pumpkin puree
- 6 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 12.32 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 473.18 ml sweetened whipped cream
- 78.07 ml pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Brush a 10 inch springform pan with some of the butter;stir remaining butter into graham cracker crumbs with 1/4 cup sugar and pinch salt.
- Press mixture into bottom and up sides of pan , packing it tightly and evenly.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on rack, then wrap outside of springform pan with heavy duty foil and place in a roasting pan.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile beat cream cheese with a mixer until smooth; add remaining 2 1/2 cups sugar and beat until just light, scraping down sides of bowl and beaters as needed.
- Beat in the sour cream, then add pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, 1 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves and beat until just combined; pour into cooled crust.
- Without pulling rack out, gently place roasting pan in oven and pour boiling water into roasting pan until it comes about halfway up side of springform pan.
- Bake until outside of cheesecake sets but center is still loose, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Turn off oven and open door briefly to let out some heat.
- Leave cheesecake in oven for 1 more hour, then carefully remove from roasting pan and cool on a rack.
- Run a knife around edges of springform pan, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Bring cheesecake to room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
- Unlock and remove springform ring.
- To finish, place a dollop of whipped cream on each slice and sprinkile with toasted pecans.
I have made this recipe several times, and always get rave reviews. My son has requested it for his birthday 'cake'. I usually add a bag of mini chocolate chips, which takes it over the top (toss the chips in a TBSP of flour, to keep them from sinking in the batter). I've one in the oven now where I've used chocolate graham crackers for the crust - I expect it will also be wonderful! Great recipe as is - needs no changes; just make sure to use the right size pan. This will fill a 10" to the top!
I cut the sugar to 1 1/2 cups, and had enough for 3 ramekins. I just finished eating one of them( I had to try it out!) It's so good. BTW, I baked the ramekins after letting the cheesecake sit in the turned off oven for an hour. Reheated oven, put ramekins into the bath, cooked x 1 hour, let cooled in oven overnight. Thank you for this recipe!!
I used this recipe three times last fall and it is wonderful!!! Thank you!!