Crispy Chicken Costoletta
photo by Treadweiser
- Ready In:
- 4 chicken breasts, cut horizontally, and pounded to about 1/4 inch thick or 4 chicken cutlets
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 eggs, whisked with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 cup chicken stock
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
For the chicken:
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Zest two lemons. Bake zest for about 5 minutes until dry.
- On one paper plate combine flour, pepper and salt. On another paper plate combine eggs and water, whisk until combined. On another paper plate combine dry lemon zest, bread crumbs and cheese.
- Place pounded chicken in the flour, coating well, followed by the egg mixture and the bread crumbs.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil and 1 Tablespoon butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place chicken in pan and cook on each side about 5 minutes until middle is no longer pink. You will need to work in batches, adding more oil and butter as needed.
- Keep chicken warm in oven at 250°F.
For the lemon sauce:
- Over medium heat in a fairly large saucepan heat canola oil. Add minced garlic and sauté about 3 minutes.
- Add whipping cream and boil until reduced by one-third.
- Add Dijon, lemon juice, chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.
- Serve chicken with lemon sauce and mashed garlic potatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this recipe tonight. I tried a cup of half & half and a cup of heavy cream for the sauce. I don't think I got the right thickness though. I pounded the chicken breasts after cutting them in half, made them real tender. I used Panko with Italian Seasoning, but I didn't really taste the lemon zest- maybe the seasoning over powered it. I made some angel hair pasta. Put the chicken over a little pasta and added the sauce on top. It was good. Going to try it again for some friends.
see 13 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 23 year old San Diegan. I graduated from San Diego State University and San Diego Culinary Institute! I am currently working in San Diego's The Oceanaire Seafood Room. I hope to one day become a chef and maybe even own my own restaurant or have my own cooking show! :D <br> <br><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/336058/mypic_1168820984.jpg> <br> <br> <br><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/meliluvsu/babes_meli.jpg> <br> <br><img src=http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/barrabanner2.jpg?t=1204760650> <br> <br><img src=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg> <br> <br> <img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg> <br> <br> <img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/DSC_0020.jpg> <br> <br><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/BottleBrush.jpg > <br> <br> <br><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Grevillia1.jpg> <br> <br><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/GoldenWattle.jpg> <br> <br><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Correa.jpg> <br> <br><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/boronia-1-1.jpg> <br> <br> <br><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/GrassTree-1-1.jpg> <br> <br><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/maori_kiss-1-1.png> <br> <br> <br><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> <br> <br><img src=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Cooking-Kangaroo-1-1.jpg> <br> <br><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> <br> <br><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif>