10 hrs 30 mins
Air Force Mama's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Pork
- 4 -6 lbs pork shoulder (or Boneless Loin)
- 1 (12 ounce) can cola (Dr. Pepper or root beer, but no diet soda, please)
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup pork, rub
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) bags coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (or 2 tbsp. freshly grated onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1For the Pork:.
- 2Rinse the pork shoulder and pat dry. Rub pork rub all over pork shoulder.
- 3Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in your slow cooker.
- 4Pour in can of cola and liquid smoke, all around the sides of the pork.
- 5Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, until the pork is very tender.
- 6Remove the pork from the slow cooker and discard the remaining liquid.
- 7Remove the bone and shred the pork using a couple of forks, removing any excess fat.
- 8Now at this point you can place on hamburger buns and let everyone spread BBQ sauce on their own sandwiches.
- 9Or, you can place the meat back in the slow cooker along with the bottle of barbecue sauce and continue to cook for another 20-30 minutes until the pork is hot again.
- 10You can also leave your shredded pork in your Crock Pot and leave it on the keep warm setting until ready to eat.
- 11To me, it ain't finished until I add some cole slaw on top.
- 12For the Slaw.
- 13In a large bowl, dump in both bags of cole slaw mix.
- 14In a smaller bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- 15Whisk vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- 16Pour mixture over coleslaw mix.
- 17With a spoon, toss cole slaw to combine.
- 18Put cover on bowl and put in the refrigerator to set overnight. This is going to allow the coleslaw mixture to soften just slightly and allow the flavors to blend. Trust me, this makes a big difference! It really gets better over time.
- 19Stir before serving.
Browse Our Top Equipment Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Country Slaw
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 625.2
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 132.9 mg
- Sodium 825.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 28.0 g
- Protein 32.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hickory liquid smoke