Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
For the Pork
- 4 -6 lbs pork shoulder (or Boneless Loin)
- 1 (12 ounce) can cola (Dr. Pepper or root beer, but no diet soda, please)
- 1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 cup pork, rub
- 1 (18 ounce) bottleof your favorite barbecue sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) bags coleslaw mix
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder (or 2 tbsp. freshly grated onion)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- For the Pork:.
- Rinse the pork shoulder and pat dry. Rub pork rub all over pork shoulder.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in your slow cooker.
- Pour in can of cola and liquid smoke, all around the sides of the pork.
- Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, until the pork is very tender.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and discard the remaining liquid.
- Remove the bone and shred the pork using a couple of forks, removing any excess fat.
- Now at this point you can place on hamburger buns and let everyone spread BBQ sauce on their own sandwiches.
- Or, you can place the meat back in the slow cooker along with the bottle of barbecue sauce and continue to cook for another 20-30 minutes until the pork is hot again.
- You can also leave your shredded pork in your Crock Pot and leave it on the keep warm setting until ready to eat.
- To me, it ain't finished until I add some cole slaw on top.
- For the Slaw.
- In a large bowl, dump in both bags of cole slaw mix.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Whisk vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture over coleslaw mix.
- With a spoon, toss cole slaw to combine.
- Put cover on bowl and put in the refrigerator to set overnight. This is going to allow the coleslaw mixture to soften just slightly and allow the flavors to blend. Trust me, this makes a big difference! It really gets better over time.
- Stir before serving.