Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is the best tasting pulled beef which my finicky child always has seconds. My family enjoys this after a long day. I enjoy the perfect flavor for my taste buds. Took years of experimenting to get it where I like it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck steaks
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 4 tablespoons yellow onions, coarsely chopped (lg. chunks)
- 4 Italian rolls (I prefer long rolls over round rolls)
- Place meat on bottom of crock pot. Place ketchup, apple cider vinegar, and molasses into saucepan over medium heat. Reduce for 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook another 5 minutes Place strainer over crock pot and strain the sauce well; flipping the onions and gently smashing with a spoon till the sauce is all in the crock pot. Discard cooked onion. Cook on High for 3-1/2 Hours. Turn temperature to low and cook another 1-1/2 hours. Take the meat out of crock pot with serrated spoon. Pull meat apart with two forks into large chunks. (Can be cooked on low for 8 hours.).
- Cut rolls lengthwise -- I always cut so that the top is thinner than the bottom. Take a spoon and spoon some of the sauce onto both the top and bottom of the roll and spread quickly so the roll doesn't get mushy. Broil for a moment to heat up the roll.
- Add sauce to the shredded beef in a bowl. Spoon the saucy shredded meat onto the warm rolls.
- I serve with potato salad, green beans, and apple sauce. Enjoy!
This is wonderful! I prefer the beef, and the rich but not too barbequey flavour... I made this for several parties, it is always a hit! Thank you for sharing this. It is a family favourite for us now.