Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fast, cheap, easy, and DELICIOUS. The pressure cooker gets you from walking into the kitchen to sitting down to eat in about an hour and a half. A great recipe for pressure cooker beginners. You'll need at least a 6 quart cooker to make the quantity given here.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder, preferably with a good piece of bone in
- 1 quart water, with
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, undrained (mild or hot)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Set your salted water on to boil in your pressure cooker pot so it can be heating up while you prep your ingredients.
- Cut the pork into bite-size cubes and add to the water in the pressure cooker. Be sure to include any bone(s) from the roast. Add the bay leaves, then put the lid on and bring up to pressure per your cooker's instructions (this might take 20-30 minutes). Once the cooker is up to pressure, turn the heat down a bit until the stopper is rocking gently and set your timer for 10 minutes.
- During all that waiting time, chop your onion, drain and rinse your hominy, open your cans of green chillies, and measure out your seasonings. Read a book. Watch a video on Youtube. Finish tidying up and set the table. Whatever you like, just don't get out of earshot of the cooker's hiss. You want a nice gentle rocking.
- After ten minutes at pressure, take your pressure cooker off the heat, douse it under cold water in your sink until the pressure is released, and open the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients, being careful not to fill above the max fill line on your cooker. (Take out some pork/stock and set aside if needed to make room for the hominy and onions.) Stir, put the lid back on, and bring back up to pressure (again, 20-30 minutes), and again cook at gently-rocking pressure 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes at pressure, douse cooker under cold water in your sink until the pressure is released, stir, and adjust any seasonings for taste (it'll be crazy hot so be careful!).
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro, and garnish with pico de gallo, avocado slices, and lime wedges. Yum!