South Texas Pozole
photo by Veromor
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add pork and cook, turning until browned on all sides.
- Remove the pork with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion and garlic to the pan, cooking just until onion softenes.
- Return pork to dutch oven and add the chicken broth, oregano, salt and chili.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 90 minutes.
- Add hominy and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Check seasonings and add more chile powder or salt according to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Serve with hot corn tortillas and garishes.
- GARNISHES: thinly sliced radishes, shredded lettuce, finely chopped onion, chopped cilantro, lime wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
OH MY GOSH this is so good, I LOVE IT! My husband is hispanic and loves menudo, but I can't stand it, so I was looking for a good substitute and this is IT! I make this recipe EVERY week now! I like to add an extra can of hominy too. Definately add the squirt of lime, chopped fresh onions and cilantro before serving, that really makes this even more delicioso! mmmmm YUM!
I used shredded chicken instead of pork and it turned out great. I made the chicken and set it aside and spooned the soup over it. I also added a couple of jalapenos and a little less chili powder and ended up adding about 2 cups of the broth (from the boiled chicken) to make a larger batch of the soup. A longer simmer time does make a difference. And don't forget the cilantro it gives that final touch. Loved it!