Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Mom always added sour cream, bacon and bacon drippings to her potato salad and folks loved it. I've dressed it up a little, adding celery, different spices and more eggs than she did. Mom, of course, never measured. In order to post I measured all the ingredients and must say I have given mom a run for her money. Hope you enjoy.
- 1360.77 g red potatoes, cut and quartered
- 10 eggs
- 226.79 g low sodium bacon
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 473.18 ml mayonnaise
- 177.44 ml diced onion
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced celery
- 29.58 ml bacon drippings
- 2.46 ml dried marjoram
- 2.46 ml dried tarragon leaves
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml dried dill weed
- 1.23 ml salt
- Boil potatoes with skins on until almost fork tender yet somewhat firm. Drain, cool, and cut into small chunks. Set aside.
- Hard boil eggs; cool. Chop nine; leave one whole. Set aside.
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towel; crumble and set aside.
- In large bowl add potatoes, chopped eggs, bacon, celery, onion, and bacon drippings.
- Add sour cream, mayonnaise, and spices.
- Gently fold mixture together being careful not to mash potatoes.
- Top with one sliced egg and sprinkle with paprika. Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- NOTE: Prep time includes cooking time.
Wow! I've made many potato salads, but none with the subtle nuances of marjoram, dill, and tarragon! I loved the small hint left behind by the spices. My tongue is doing the happy dance! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.