I was in the mood for some comfort food and DS loves potato soup so I came up with this simple quick recipe. I usually only puree half of it and leave a few chunks in it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large leeks, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil and butter in a large stock pot.
- Saute leeks slowly until tender but not browned.
- Add garlic and tomato and saute for 5 minutes longer.
- Add stock and water, bring to a simmer and add potatoes, coriander, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Let cool and puree half or all if desired.
- For Vegetarian use the Braggs Liquid Aminos (soy sauce).
This was tasty on a cold winter day! I wasn't sure what to do with the milk so just added it at the puree step.
My entire family loved this recipe Made it to use a leek I had on hand. Very healthy and tasty, despite the creamy texture from the potatoes and chicken stock. Very easy too.
Lovely recipe!, I didn't add the tomato as I only had canned ones in the house when I made this...and I used vegetable stock because most of this went to my vegetarian MiL who's recovering from a knee replacement operation. She wantd tasty recipes that could be frozen in small lots then reheated easily while she gets back on her feet and this certainly fits the bill. It's a tasty, thick, filling and flavourful soup that will keep out the chills on a cold Dutch winter evening. Please see my rating system, a well deserved 4 stars. Thanks !!!