Potato Leek Soup
From the wonderful Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. This soup is great year round.
- Ready In:
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 cups cleaned chopped leeks
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- fresh ground pepper
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch chunks.
- Place them in a soup pot or Dutch oven with the leeks, celery, carrot, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat, and let it cool until it's no longer too hot to puree.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor in batches.
- Return the puree to the pot.
- Stir in the milk.
- Add black pepper to taste and adjust salt if necessary.
- Serve hot or cold, possibly topped with a sprinkling of fresh hebs.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
All 5 of my kids LOVED this and I thought it was delicious. 3 potatoes, 3 leeks (white parts only), 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, sauteed briefly before adding the other ingredients. Added 1 Vegetable Bouillion Cube, more water, plus dried Basil and Thyme during the cooking process. Added more milk than the recipe suggested at the end while pureeing, then seasoned to taste with Salt and Pepper. Definitely a keeper with my own little tweaks in there!