Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are delicious served plain with a bit of salt sprinkled on them or traditionally with apple sauce or sour cream. Serving size is approximate. You may grate potatoes if you like, but we prefer them chopped.
- 6 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch sugar
- flour (enough to hold ingredients together, you'll be able to tell when you've added enough)
- Crisco shortening
- Cut peeled potatoes into chunks and chop in food processor.
- Cut onions into chunks and chop in food processor.
- Mix potatoes and onions together in a colander over a large bowl.
- Allow to drain.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and add beaten eggs, salt, pepper, baking powder, sugar, and a tablespoon of flour at-a-time until mixture holds together.
- Mix well.
- In a fry pan, melt shortening.
- You'll need about 1/8".
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of the mixture into the oil.
- Flatten each spoonful with the back of the spoon to make thin latkes.
- Fry until the edges turn a dark brown.
- Flip over to fry the other side.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with apple sauce and/or sour cream.
WOW!!! Just like I remembered when i was a little girl! These were PERFECT! My family loved these. We paired them with prime rib and asparagus. AWESOME! These are so easy to make, and they ARE the real thing. The directions didn't mention squeezing out the liquid.......I put the onion and potato mixture in a tea towel and squeezed the daylights outta it to get out as much liquid as possible. I was always taught that was the secret to perfect latkes. Thank you for positing this recipe. No changes other than the liquid squeezing. :-)
Potato Latkes are something I've loved since I was knee high and your recipe makes it a cinch to make. Thank you so much Dojemi. I make these often. I could eat these for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. My favorite way is with applesauce. Oh yum. And the crispier the better. Thanks again for a wonderful recipe.
Turned out well and they were so easy. Thanks.