These are delicious served plain with a bit of salt sprinkled on them or traditionally with apple sauce or sour cream. Serving size is approximate. You may grate potatoes if you like, but we prefer them chopped.
- Cut peeled potatoes into chunks and chop in food processor.
- Cut onions into chunks and chop in food processor.
- Mix potatoes and onions together in a colander over a large bowl.
- Allow to drain.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and add beaten eggs, salt, pepper, baking powder, sugar, and a tablespoon of flour at-a-time until mixture holds together.
- Mix well.
- In a fry pan, melt shortening.
- You'll need about 1/8".
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of the mixture into the oil.
- Flatten each spoonful with the back of the spoon to make thin latkes.
- Fry until the edges turn a dark brown.
- Flip over to fry the other side.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with apple sauce and/or sour cream.