Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe that my Dad has made for years. He usually cooks this in a large skillet, which you can do, but i like to use the oven sometimes because it can be easier. This is a very versatile dish so you can mix any different kinds of vegetables! I prefer potatoes, carrots, zucchini,and yellow squash. I will sometimes add broccoli if I have it on hand, so use your own imagination in choosing which vegetables that you prefer. You could also use any kind of kielbasa sausage. I personally don't care for too much spice, but the spicy sausage can be used also. The best thing about this dish is that the only time consuming part of making it is chopping the vegetables! If you cook it in a skillet, it should take about 30 minutes, in the oven about 45 minutes.
- 6 russet potatoes
- 2 large carrots or 2 cups baby carrots
- 2 -3 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 4 scallions
- 1⁄2 lb kielbasa
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Turn oven onto 400 degrees. Start by preparing the different vegetables.
- Peel and chop the Potatoes into thick slices. For the potatoes I like to cut in half, cut in half again, and then cut in half again. Peel and carrots and slice into good thick pieces. Chop the scallions, white and green parts.
- Wash the zucchini and yellow squash well and slice. Try to keep the vegetables around the same size for even cooking.
- Cut the sausage down the middle and then slice into good sized pieces.
- Place all the vegetables in a large baking pan. Pour the olive oil well over all the vegtetables. Add the seasonings well, you may need adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and browned.
We really liked this--though I used about half the potatoes and twice the sausage with a sweet onion as a sub. Next time, I think I will add some additional carrots. It did take around 90 minutes in a 13x9 pyrex dish, though it could be my oven. (Also, as a note, I used 1/2 tsp of pepper and 1 1/2 tsp of salt.) I nearly added garlic, but decided not to, and I don't think we missed anything! A keeper and a super easy meal--Thank you!