1/1 Photo of Portobello & Kale Pizza
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Don't expect to have leftovers when you make this tasty, and fairly healthy pizza. It is made on 100% whole wheat crust with a garlic sauce. I like to have the nutrition information from recipezaar (a.k.a. food.com) so I put all the steps into one recipe. Thanks go out to "Kiersten" on ohmyveggies.com, as this recipe is very closely modelled on hers. You can prepare the roasted garlic and toppings ahead of time to make the final preparation a bit easier as you want everything ready to go when the crust is rolled and ready.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Roasted Garlic Sauce
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 tablespoon yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1Garlic Pizza Sauce:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Peel the outer skin from the garlic head to expose the individuals cloves.
- 4Cut the top off all the cloves - the root of the garlic holds it all together.
- 5Place the garlic top up in an oven proof bowl preferably deeper than the height of the garlic - I used a french onion soup bowl.
- 6Pepper the top of the garlic - I use lots of pepper.
- 7Drizzle some of the olive oil over the garlic and save the rest for later.
- 8Cover the dish with aluminum foil sealing it by crimping over the edge.
- 9Roast in the oven for 1 hour.
- 10Uncover and let the garlic cool.
- 11Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into a small bowl.
- 12Pour the olive oil from the baking bowl in with the cloves.
- 13Add more freshly ground pepper if desired.
- 14Mash with a form until smooth - using more olive oil as needed to get a smooth sauce.
- 15Whole Wheat Pizza Crust:.
- 16Mix water, honey and yeast.
- 17Let yeast “start” for about 5 minutes.
- 18Add 1 cup of the flour
- 19Add wheat gluten, olive oil, spices (optional)
- 20Knead about 7 minutes - adding additional flour until you get the right consistency
- 21Knead until smooth and elastic.
- 22Keep the remaining flour for when you roll the dough.
- 23Put a damp towel over the bowl and let rise for 20 minutes.
- 24Roll the dough to about 13" rolling the edges thinner than the centre.
- 25Twist up the edges into a pizza crust shape.
- 26Pierce the base of the pizza dough with a fork.
- 27Let the crust rest in a warm place for a few minutes.
- 28Bake the crust at 450 degrees on a pizza stone for about 5 minutes before putting on your toppings.
- 29Portobello & Kale Topping.
- 30Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- 31Add the portobello mushroom slices.
- 32Add freshly ground pepper and if desired, salt.
- 33Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are softened
- 34Add kale and cook for about 3 minutes, until it is wilted
- 35Remove from heat and set aside until the dough is ready.
- 36Final Assembly & Baking:.
- 37Spread the garlic sauce on the pre-baked crust.
- 38Put the soft cheese slices on next (mozzarina or similar).
- 39Spread the portobello and kale mixture
- 40Top with the shredded mozzarella
- 41Put the assembled pizza into the oven at 450 for about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portobello & Kale Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.4
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 60.5 mg
- Sodium 656.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 28.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten