- Ready In:
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, cleaned, gills removed
- 1⁄2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 3⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 40 mini pepperoni
- 4 large basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush inside and outside of mushrooms with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place on prepared sheet tray with the tops down.
- Build the pizzas by laying tomato sauce, italian seasoning, cheese and pepperoni.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese has melted and the mushroom is tender. Top with basil and serve.
Questions & Replies
Great alternative to wheat, with good flavour. The fresh basil is key! For pizza, I always add parmesan and much less mozzarella. For those trying to eat a bit healthier, I would imagine the 40 mini pepperoni translates to 40 slices of mini pepperoni and if so, the saturated fat content would reduce quite a bit under the nutrition tab.
see 2 more reviews
I used Avocado oil instead of olive oil. I used tomato paste and a good size pat of Kerry Gold in the middle. I used Italian sausage instead of pepperoni and I used feta, graded parmesan and finally sliced provolone instead of mozzarella. Had to go with what I had on hand. Turned out perfect for 6 nice sized caps.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!