Sweet Potato & Kale Colcannon
A different take on the traditional Irish dish, my recipe features bacon! Perfect for St. Patrick's Day or any day.
- Ready In:
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 large sweet potatoes or 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces fresh kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over low heat until crispy. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease from the skillet.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of water with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, add garlic and kale to remaining bacon grease in skillet. Saute on medium-low heat, working in batches if needed, until kale is crisp-tender and reduced to about half of its volume. This will take 5 to 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Drain sweet potatoes and return to them to their pan. Add butter or vegan butter and mash with a potato masher or fork. Crumble the bacon and stir into potatoes. Stir in sauteed kale and season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste). Serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation