Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an excellent way to use up leftover porridge. You may find it worthwhile to cook extra porridge just to make this tasty dish.
- 1⁄2 lb minced beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork or 1⁄2 lb veal
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup consomme or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- (Use 2 cups COLD porridge. To make porridge, stir 1 cup oatmeal into 2 cups water and cook til thickened.).
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Grease loaf pan, sprinkle with flour, and shake out excess.
- Pack in mixture and place in pan filled with hot water (til water comes up 1/2 side of loaf pan).
- Bake 325F 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold.