Recipe by FlemishMinx
The apple and wine (or rum) add a slight sweetness to the dish which counteracts the bite of the sauerkraut. Goes nicely with herb-roasted potatoes.
Top Review by Laudee
We thought this chop 'n kraut dish was fantastic! I used my electric skillet, so it made cooking very easy. I used apple juice in place of the apple, and rum, as suggested. The flavors blended together really well, and the end result was tender meat, and a tangy sauce. Delicious!! Thank you for sharing ... This one is a keeper, for sure!
- 4 pork chops
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 peeled apple, cored and chopped
- 3 tablespoons white wine or 3 tablespoons rum
- 16 ounces sauerkraut
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet and oil lightly.
- Brown chops on both sides, and remove them from skillet.
- In remaining oil and residue, saute the onion and apple, till they begin to color.
- Add the white wine or rum to the skillet.
- Add the sauerkraut with about half of its liquid to your pan.
- Combine well with onion-apple mixture.
- Add the chops back to the pan, atop the sauerkraut mixture.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook off any remaining liquid, moving chops to the bottom of the pan for final browning on both sides.
- When all the liquid is gone, the dish is ready to serve.