Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This also works well with chicken breast --- instant white rice may be substituted for the brown if desired, for extra heat add in another jalapeno pepper or cayenne pepper :)
Top Review by ChelseaW
This is one of those favorites that you use so often, you never remember to review! We love this casserole. I will often make a big dish and take it for lunch throughout the week. I eat it as a dip for chips at lunch. Yum Yum Yum! I will also add seasonal vegetables sometimes.
- 4 tablespoons oil (more if needed)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork loin chops (cut into small bite-size pieces)
- salt and black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional or to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (or use diced tomatoes)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chili peppers
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin (can use more)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Lightly season the pork with salt and black pepper; add to the hot oil and cook on all sides until lightly browned; remove to a bowl.
- Add in onion and garlic and saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Return the meat back to the pot, then add in rice, cream of chicken soup, jalapeno pepper, black beans, green chilies, salsa, water or broth and cumin; mix to combine well, then simmer uncovered over medium heat for about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and top with about 1-1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese has melted.