Prep 20 mins
Cook 38 mins
I got this recipe from a local gas company cookbook. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the name, but my kids love it. Its a light and refreshing cake, perfect following a heavy meal.
- Combine cake mix,eggs, oil and oranges in a large bowl.
- Blend on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Grease and flour 2 layer cake pans.
- Bake in 350 oven for 33 to 38 minutes.
- Mix pudding mix with 1 1/2 cups milk until thick.
- Drain pineapple.
- Add pineapple and whipped topping to pudding.
- Spread between layers and on top of cake.
Delicious! This is a traditional "pig pickin" cake, which is what they call BBQ's in the south! The reason for 4 stars instead of 5....the frosting had too much liquid in it. I made it and put in the fridge to set up but after 2 hours it was still a bit runny. I put between layers and on top anyways, it kind of slid down the sides and gathered at the bottom. I have looked at other recipes with this same type of cake and they suggest to use 12 oz cool whip, 15 oz crushed pineapple, undrained and a box of pudding. I also added the oranges last on low speed to break up a little but still leave some bigger pieces! Thanks, I will be making this again wtih a few changes! Oh yea and I topped with toasted coconut!