Pig Pickin' Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
1 9X13 cake
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (or your favorite recipe)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box vanilla pudding mix (or your favorite pudding recipe)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 banana (optional)
- 12 ounces Cool Whip or 12 ounces fresh sweetened whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup toasted coconut
- Prepare the yellow cake mix as directed for a 9 X 13 pan.
- (I sometimes use the liquid reserved from the crushed pineapple as part of the liquid in the cake).
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.
- Spread the crushed pineapple evenly over the cake (use good judgement, you don’t want to oversoak the cake).
- Prepare the pudding mix as directed with the 2 cups of milk, or prepare your own recipe for vanilla pudding.
- If using a cooked pudding, prepare it ahead and allow it to cool completely before adding to the cake.
- Spread the pudding evenly over the cake and pineapple.
- If using, slice the banana and arrange slices evenly over the pudding.
- Spread the Cool Whip or whipped cream evenly over the top of the cake to frost.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut to taste.
- Keep in the refrigerator.
- The longer it sets, the better it tastes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Thank you for posting this recipe!! When we first moved to NC (from MA) my sister served us this cake... it was incredible...then she told us what it was called... you should have seen the looks on our faces!! HAHA. but, oh, this is sooo good.. we add maraschino cherries to ours too!!! that's the beauty of this cake... you can add lots of things to it.. it is sooo southern. I LOVE IT!! I just have to not think about the calories... LOL Thanks again... this is definitely a keeper.. now I can quit asking my sister to make this cake for me a billion times a month!! :)