Pig Pickin' Cake
photo by Chef Sarita in Aust
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- chopped pecans
- Beat the first 4 ingredients together in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed until blended.
- Stir in oranges.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch cake pans (layers will be thin).
- Bake in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove layers from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- In a large bowl, stir together the crushed pineapple and next 3 ingredients; spread pineapple mixture evenly between layers and on top of cake.
- Chill cake 3-4 hours.
- Garnish with chopped pecans, if desired.
- Store cake in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Ratherbeswimmin thanks for the great recipe! When I bake this cake, I can pretend I am the belle of the ball at a great Southern hoedown. This is my husband's favorite cake, but the rest of the family loves it too!! Tastes fancy but is really easy. I do modify the recipe a little. I bake the cake in a 9 by 13 pan. I sub juice from the mandarine oranges for the water. I use sugar free vanilla pudding and Cool Whip. No problem, regular or unleaded (sugarfree) this cake is delicious.
Wow,wow,wow! This is one delicious cake! I made this for a Birthday celebration, but will add this to my catering menu, it's that good! I omitted the pecans, just because my Mom isn't a fan, but otherwise made it as stated. Terrific cake, and very easy to put together. Be sure to use the "instant" pudding it calls for, and not "cooked" pudding like I did the first time around! :)