Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A cooling addition to any warm-weather meal. (from Southern Living, April 2002).
Make and share this Pickled Onion and Cucumber recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 8 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 gallon white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cover and chill 24 hours.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Always great; I added about 1/3 teas. sugar too. Made for O is for Oct. event.
I grew up with this being a staple on the table for many dinners at our house. My gram would also add a little sugar in with the vinegar and a splash of water, and it gives it a really nice flavor. Sometimes she would just slice up cucumbers or just onion slices and use the vinegar and sugar and a splash of water... YUM... Brings back so many fond memories :)