Recipe by Steve_G
Eggless premium style ice cream. Very creamy and rich.
Top Review by SaraFish
This is FABULOUS!!!!! I made a batch and served it at Thanksgiving yesterday and everyone raved. It's creamy and sweet and perfect. I cheated, by the way, and used 2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract and white sugar instead of the vanilla sugar and vanilla bean. Everyone said they couldn't believe how creamy and vanilla-y it was. The whole quart was gone in about 5 minutes!
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup vanilla sugar (regular sugar works fine too, it's just not quite as intense)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
Directions See How It's Made
- You'll need a thermometer and ice cream maker for this recipe!
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and place on stove over a medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to 170°F.
- while stirring occasionally.
- If you do not have a thermometer you can heat it to you see a bubble hit the surface of the mixture.
- DO NOT ALLOW IT TO BOIL!
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Place in airtight container and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld.
- If you're in a hurry you can place the pan in an ice bath.
- Either way the temperature of the mixture will need to be at 40°F.
- for most ice cream makers.
- (This may not be necessary in a self contained freezer unit). Remove vanilla bean hull and freeze mix per manufacturers directions in your ice cream maker.
- Wash and dry your bean hull, place it in 2 cups of sugar and in a few days you'll have vanilla sugar for your next batch of ice cream To firm up the ice cream place it in a lidded container in your freezer for an hour before serving.