Vanilla Ice Cream (Basic Custard Style)
photo by Mark Kovach
- Ready In:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (not imitation!)
- Beat eggs very well with a mixer, gradually add sugar beat until thick and lemon colored.
- Stir in milk and heat, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool mixture.
- Add cream and vanilla, cover and chill mixture.
- Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufactures directions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
i must say it, this recipe was delicious, i added my own twist to it by infusing lavender into the whole milk in the beginning, and then cooling that. Once i had my eggs and sugar combined i added the whole milk in and heated it and stirred more dried lavender in for appearance and texture. Then when i got everything mixed and out of the ice cream maker (in soft serve consistency) and swirled in some home made black berry sauce, and froze it over night... It was to die for!
A double batch came out to about 24 oz. So we tried making another double batch. I used skim milk with both bcz that's all I had. The first batch came out great and froze just like storebought. The 2nd batch didn't freeze in the ice cream maker, so we put it in the freezer and froze it, but it got a little icy. Not sure what happened the 2nd time, although the first time, I forgot to add the sugar until after I added the whipping cream. Used 1 T vanilla (homemade) for a double batch.
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm married (46 years to the same lucky guy) and have 2 kids, a daughter 41, a son 36, and 2 beautiful grand daughters (8 yrs and 6 yrs). I have always enjoyed cooking and baking, especially breads :) One of my favorite quotes:?? Computers are like air conditioners; they stop working when you open Windows.